Thursday, February 24, 2011

BRAND THOUGHT: MY HIJAB IS MY BRAND

My sister Khairolin, shared with me an article in the Malaysian 'KOSMO' newspaper about the talk done by Lauren Booth a well known British journalist, an activist for the Palestinian struggle and a new Muslim revert. Interestingly, she's also the sister in law for ex Britain's Prime Minister, Tony Blair.


Booth dressed in black attire, gave a talk about 'My Journey to Islam' at the Public Service Golf Club, in Bukit Kiara, Kuala Lumpur. She embraced Islam in September 2010, Masha Allah.

What caught my attention about this article is the fact that Booth said,

'My Hijab, is My Brand'

That is so...true. That has always been the message that I'm trying to impart through this blog. As Muslim women, the hijab is our first and foremost communication to the public that clearly declare we're Muslims. It is our brand and visual identity.

Sadly, the hijab identity especially in the western world has been associated with terrorism, oppression, violence and inequality.

Booth added when you wear your hijab it is important to 'smile' as people in the west, when they see a troubled looking hijabi would quickly assume that you've been abused by your husband. I couldn't agree more.

I always do the 'smiling' exercise with my workshop participants because a smile would just increase the energy of a person and the energy of everyone around him or her. It would also increase confidence.

Wear your hijab proudly and smile. It shows that we are friendly and approachable but at the same time we do have our limits. It shows that we're stylish yet modest, we're fearless as well as fabulous. We are Muslimahs.


Salute to our Muslim sisters in the west who remain fearless and fabulous despite all odds. Let's all stand together and declare this proudly, 'MY HIJAB IS MY BRAND!'

To read the article on KOSMO (it's in Malay) please go to this link:


2 comments: